Writing in PracticeAnswer any one question. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Here is a character’s biodata. Using all of these facts, make up additional details, personal quirks and life events to create a backstory for the character.Name: Radha Karmakar, Age: 33, Height: 5’4”, Weight: 55kg, Distinguishing marks: scar on right hand. Education: History honours, diploma in textile design. Marital status: divorced, one child. Income, 2.5 lakhs per year. Occupation: sales executive in a small jewelry manufacturing firm. Residence: near Shyambazar Metro station. Place of birth: Cooch Behar. Ex-husband: Army officer.
2. Create a plot outline choosing one character, location, mood and object from the lists below. You may add other elements and characters, but the four things you choose must figure prominently. State your four choices at the head of your answer.
- Characters: Stone mason, Railway engine driver, teenage drama queen, werewolf,
- Locations: Roof of skyscraper, river gorge, flower market, bedroom
- Moods: Tranquil, frustrated, curious, despairing
- Objects: Loaf of bread, shoe, rubber duck, tractor
‘So,’ he said, looking not at her but at the road outside the window, ‘we finally meet.’
‘Finally,’ she agreed, fidgeting with the menu. ‘Do you like tandoori?’‘Can’t stand it.’
‘Well, that’s one thing we have in common. Let’s order Chinese.’His Blackberry beeped. She caught her breath, but he waved a hand. ‘I can’t turn it off because my boss will yell, but it’ll keep for an hour or so. So tell me, how long have you been living in this city?’
The waiter arrived to take their orders. When he left, she said, ‘Look, there’s no need to pretend. We both know why we’re here. Let’s skip the small talk.’‘Agreed,’ he said, and looked her in the face for the first time.
4. Rewrite this passage, giving the scene emotional colour. Invent the details you need to add, such as colours, sounds, sights, objects, activity, people and animals, smells, etc, but do NOT introduce a plot or principal characters.
The stalls are being set up for the fair. Bundles of merchandise lie around. People are hurrying to get ready. The fair is to be held on a low hill outside the town. The Ferris wheel is being set up. Many musicians, dancers and entertainers come to the town for the fair. A magician is pitching his tent. Kids lounge around watching. It has rained the night before, but today is sunny. Winter is coming and there is a nip in the air.